Sunday, June 24, 2012

Newsworthy Comics Reporter Interview and Other Miscellany.

I see that ADD has already linked to the Spurgeon interview, but it may be worth reporting a few of the details along with a few other items I didn't catch yesterday, all spotted on Ed Brubaker's Twitter feed.

To reiterate, the Comics Reporter just posted today Tom Spurgeon's quite lengthy Sunday interview with Ed Brubaker.  He discusses working with Image Comics and his decade-long collaboration with Sean Phillips, explaining that, ideally, he would only work with Phillips writing a single book each month.

Brubaker warns that the interview contains spoilers, but I didn't see much that would ward off fans of Fatale, about which he mostly explains how he has been challenging himself with horror.

The spoiler is evidently on the production side. 

[MARVEL UNIVERSE SPOILER AHEAD]

Ed Brubaker announced that, after almost eight years, his critically acclaimed run on Captain America will soon be coming to an end.  Comic Book Resources isn't the only site treating this as breaking news, and its Robot 6 blog estimates that the final issue will be issue #18.

Winter Soldier is now the only Marvel book that Brubaker will be writing:  he planned to have his final issue of Cap written before this interview was published.  Brubaker says, "I'll do The Winter Soldier as long as it lasts... or, I'll do it for as long as I can."

He also says that he's been "winding down the superhero work-for-hire part of [his] career."

He reassures Spurgeon, "I wish this were a more dramatic story for you, but Marvel have treated me really well over the past 8 years. I'm just ready for a change."

I cannot stress this enough, that I have ABSOLUTELY no insider knowledge about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if future arcs of Criminal and Incognito are published by Image Comics rather than through Marvel's Icon imprint for creator-owned comics -- especially if Brubaker's run on Winter Soldier ends before Fatale concludes early-to-mid 2013.


On subjects that aren't so directly focused on his own career, Brubaker discusses the recent turmoil at Marvel and DC, and he discusses creator rights and the firestorm surrounding DC's Before Watchmen comics.

In my opinion, he does so quite sensitively, but it's worth reading in toto.

Brubaker adds, almost as an aside, "If I'd owned Sleeper, my whole life would be different now. Other opportunities would have opened for me long ago."


Second, on the subject of Sleeper and other adaptations, Brubaker tweeted this past week, "I heard that Sleeper may be dead, but I'm polishing the Coward script and it's still a very active movie project."

Criminal fans should keep their fingers crossed.


Next, Brubaker confirms that the Incognito film adaptation is "still in the works" -- we last reported on the film in 2010 -- and he writes today, "There may be more Incognito."

Considering the cliff-hanger ending of "Bad Influences," I wouldn't be surprised, and my guess continues to be that we'll see more than just one more arc -- or as I put it before, we wonder if this closes the door for just one more sequel to the "apocalyptic pulp noir."

I imagine we might see at least enough for a second hardcover collection... eventually.


Finally, Brubaker approvingly linked to Robot 6's June 20th "Quote of the Day" by Kelly Sue DeConnick absolving readers of any guilt for "waiting for the trade."

She admits that trade-waiting isn't as helpful as picking up monthly issues, but...

But sweetheart, there’s only so much I’m willing to ask of people, only so much I think is fair. If someone is planning on buying the pamphlets/floppies/singles/comics anyway, I am willing to beg ask them to preorder. I am not willing to ask that you buy a format that is not your preference — ESPECIALLY not when a company like Dark Horse puts out such gorgeous trades. I hereby absolve you of all guilt associated with your purchase, and most importantly, I thank you for your support and hope you enjoy the book.

In the Spurgeon interview, Brubaker mentions people are choosing to wait as many as five years for the deluxe hardcover, and I think that might be pushing it.

Speaking for no one else, I say that we should support great art however we can, but there are some books that are simply more enjoyable reading monthy by month.

At least as much as Criminal and Image's Chew, Scott Morse's trippy mini-series Strange Science Fantasy seemed particularly well-suited to the single-issue format.

But that's looking back.  Looking ahead, I'll repeat ADD's observation that readers can catch up with Fatale with the first trade paperback and the sixth issue, both in stores this week.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts